Even if you take care of your teeth with a good oral healthcare routine, they may not be as white as they used to be. Over time, teeth can become stained and discolored, and some people have teeth that are just naturally darker. Fortunately, you have options that can restore brightness back into your smile.
Anyone who has watched television or browsed down the oral care aisle in their local market or drug store has heard about treatments to whiten their teeth. From over-the-counter products to sitting in a dentist’s chair, to taking trays home received from a dentist, there are a multitude of ways that you can whiten your teeth. There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the best option for you.
- Tooth whitening treatments use powerful bleaching agents to brighten your teeth. Some people experience minor gum irritation or increased tooth sensitivity from these products.
- Tooth whitening is usually only effective for people who have yellow colored teeth, but less effective on teeth that are brown or gray. Treatments only work on your natural teeth, not on restorations such as crowns and bridges.
- The whitening process can produce great results in the short term, but it does not last forever. Teeth can become dingy and stained again from the foods and beverages we consume.
A more permanent and lasting solution is porcelain veneers. Veneers are a very thin porcelain shell that is placed over the top of the surface of your tooth (the side you can see) then it is bonded to your tooth. Porcelain veneers can change the size, shape, fit, and color of your teeth.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- They can conceal some tooth imperfections. Cracks, chips, gaps, or even a mild misalignment issues can be concealed with veneers.
- If treated properly, veneers can last 15 years or longer before needing replacement.
- They are a great option for those whose teeth are deeply discolored and resistant to whitening treatments.
- They give you a beautiful smile, not just whiter teeth
- It is a painless procedure, and the amount of tooth structure, which is removed is minimal compared to placing a crown.
Many patients consider veneers after being disappointed with the results of teeth whitening. The color of your teeth is only a small portion of your whole smile. The shape, size, and position of your teeth play a huge role in the aesthetic appeal of your smile.
Our doctors at Advanced Family Dentistry in Ankeny, can evaluate your teeth and help you understand all your options. They will be happy to explain how veneers can create a beautifully shaped, long-lasting smile, not just whiter teeth. Call us for your appointment today!