Do you ever wonder why your dentist wants you to come to the office every six months for a cleaning? Regular dental cleanings and checkups are important because they help to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Research has shown that gum disease resulting from insufficient oral hygiene has been linked to several serious health issues. Associated medical and dental problems include bone loss, cardiovascular disease, strokes, cancers, and other illnesses.
Brushing and flossing at home are essential, but they are only part of the process. To ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy and thoroughly clean, regularly scheduled visits to your dental hygienist are necessary.
How Professional Cleanings Can Improve Your Dental Health
- Dental cleanings can remove stains your toothbrush can’t. If you drink coffee, tea, or wine, you probably have a buildup of stains. The dental hygienist can remove these stains, giving you a whiter smile.
- Cleanings protect your gums against periodontal disease. Gum disease is an infection of the tissues surrounding your teeth, and one of the major causes of bone loss if left untreated. A dental cleaning will remove the built-up plaque from in between your teeth and below your gum line. This plaque can lead to an infection, which can lead to tooth loss.
- Cleanings can protect your teeth against cavities from the same built-up plaque that can cause gum disease.
- During your cleaning, you will also be screened for oral cancer. Many times, these cancers are curable if detected at an early stage during a routine cleaning.
- Dental cleanings can prevent many problems from becoming worse. Catching a cavity or a broken filling early is much easier to treat before it turns into a root canal, or worse yet, a tooth loss. It will also save you money and time by avoiding additional treatment.
- The dental hygienist will review recommended brushing and flossing techniques with you. This will make your efforts at home far more effective.
- Professional cleanings give your oral care team the opportunity to compare your current oral health condition to what it was on your previous visits. If you are developing bad habits, they can be identified early and stopped.
- Regular cleanings help prevent and resolve persistent bad breath.
Regular cleanings not only contribute positively to your oral health but to your overall health as well. The expert team at Advanced Family Dentistry in Ankeny want to see you on a regular basis. We are here to partner with you on your oral health care and to make it the best it can be. Call us to schedule your cleaning today!